Saturday, January 25, 2014

Graph Search: Facebook is Finally Useful

Facebook's Graph Search feature is amazing. I wanted to know which of my new acquaintances and friends from high school go to the university I'll be visiting for a hackathon next week. So, I just started typing my query in a natural way, "my friends who go to Carnegie Melon University", and bam -- I got exactly what I was looking for. No fumbling with drop down menu filters or long advanced search forms. It's like Wolfram Alpha for your intricate network of friends, family and acquaintances.




Of course, not everyone feels the same way about this feature.  Moreover, not everyone feels the same way about Facebook itself.  There's the highly debated issue of users being overly reliant on the online platform, to the point where it's unhealthy.  Critics of Facebook mock it as a tool for narcissists who couldn't care to remember who their friends are.

While I'm cautious of Facebook's potential to be used in a socially unhealthy way, I'm a firm believer that the data amassed by the network can be used to improve social life off the web.  I've made many acquaintances who I haven't yet had the luxury of learning everything about them.  I will probably remember them and the moments we shared together, but easily forget their name and the school they go to or their hometown. Facebook solves this problem.


However, the fact that Facebook wields so much power, that it single-handedly controls personal, and sometimes private information about nearly everyone, coupled with the perceived lack of transparency about what Facebook does with that data gives rise to the suspicion that they may have a nefarious agenda --  they may be exploiting this data by selling it to nosy corporations or giving direct access to snooping intelligence agencies like the NSA.  

By building Graph Search, Facebook has given me a reason to believe that the data it amassed doesn't have to be used for "evil" -- it can be used for good. Its collection, aggregation, and analysis of social data undoubtedly comes at the cost of privacy, but the insights gained are powerful and beneficial.

At the end of the day, Facebook is solving a complex problem: digesting the massive amount of data submitted voluntarily by hundreds of millions of people around the world, and making it useful.  They've done just that with Graph Search.

10 comments:

  1. Today's applications are incredibly helpful. Due to them, you check any phones info - sms, call, videos, etc., have a glance for more useful information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read here about the best keylogger for Android on Spyic. You may then able to track every keystroke the keyboard makes, which is so clean, and it tracks the history so you won't miss on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can read this guide on the best spy apps to spy on cell phone without installing software on target phone, click here to read in detail about it. The advantage of not needed to install software on target phone is the most important one as it is the hardest part in spying other cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people have asked me on how to find someones location by cell phone number, go to the site to know more and try it yourself. So by just using only the phone number, you will be able to know the target phone location. This is so hard to achieve in the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another alternatives on Instagram app can be found here, read more on this website to learn in detail about it. It works great for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There has been no doubt in my mind. That this is the best reference for you in case you are wondering on how people have been using Facebook spy so easily, visit this guide by TeenSafe and let me know how your skill develops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Text the only best hacker for your tracking of message location for serious enquiries only as they are selective on working on any jobs. I am simply referring to ultimate phone spy app

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you looking for a verified and a certified black-hat hackers with that hacking experience that is fit for that job , don't be deceived with so many advert because advert won't do the job but
    hacking experience and hacking ethics

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s all about how you want to adorn your area by mixing the worn with the not so
    worn, and bringing them to life all in one place. I ended a five years relationship after finding out my wife was cheating on me with my Lawyer , planning on getting me eliminated by all means to take over everything I have .. Luckily enough for me I got a hacker that helped me hack into her phone and i saw her text messages with my Lawyer and that helped me as an evidence to file for a divorce hire a hacker

    ReplyDelete